Jul 26, 2013

Zombiecide Storage Crisis Solved - Cheap Storage Solution from Sally 4th

Hello all,
So, the lucky bastards who were part of the Kickstarter Season One for Zombicde got app. 200 miniatures out of the deal. Now, this is actually something of a mixed blessing - 200 miniatures, the majority of which are zombies, is a lot of minis to paint. And then, once you've painted the buggers, it dawns on you that you need to store that bazillion of zombies and the hefty amount of survivors. And with the minis from Season two arriving shortly the problem will only be doubled. 
Now, not to cry about having a massive amount of painted minis, but where and how do you store so many minis? And in a manner wherein you can quickly get them out and not spend the entire evening wrapping them in papertowel or figuring out which one goes where in your expensive styrofoam carrying case?
Well, I believe I've found the answer to this question. Allow me to praise a product made by a British company called Sally 4th.
Not a bad name either :-).
This company produces a fair few things, but the thing that caught my eye was their line of Figure Storage Chests. This is a line of laser cut wooden 'chests' that come in a variety of sizes and heights. And the best thing is that they also produce inserts, tailored to just about every basing system out there.
So I went and did the only reasonable thing - I bought a few samples just to test them out and this is the result:

Sally, 4th, forth, Storage, crisis, miniatures, cheap, wood, zombies, zombicide, survivors, safe

With room for 48 models in their 25mm round insert cutouts, all the survivors and zombivores will fit within one chest, and have room to practice their Zombie-slaying-tricks as well.
I've bought the 75mm heigh version and have opted for the magnetic inlay as well. this works perfect for the plastic minis, but for metal minis I would go easy on the travelling. Meaning they will stay in place while travelling, but if someone turns them upside down, they will fall down half the time.
A few examples of the zombie horde tucked away in their chests:

Sally, 4th, forth, Storage, crisis, miniatures, cheap, wood, zombies, zombicide, survivors, safe

A ton of Walkers, ready to party.

Sally, 4th, forth, Storage, crisis, miniatures, cheap, wood, zombies, zombicide, survivors, safe

And, in another chest, a hefty group of fatties and some runners for support.
As you can see, three chests will fit more than the basic set (and even the Abomination pack), and as it only takes a second to stow away a given mini (or pull out a handfull of Runners to ruin everyones day) I do believe this is the currently best answer to how one can stow the Zombicide minis.
And four chests will only take up a small amount of shell space as they are fully stackable:

Sally, 4th, forth, Storage, crisis, miniatures, cheap, wood, zombies, zombicide, survivors, safe

Now I did a little bit of modification before I assembled the chests - just to make the sets seem more urbannish:

Sally, 4th, forth, Storage, crisis, miniatures, cheap, wood, zombies, zombicide, survivors, safe

A quick grey spray, and the inserts share the 'dark asphalt' look I've used on my Zombicide bases. Makes the entire thing seem more fitting. And I plan to go back and both add a bit of blood splatter and some clutter once I get more time.
 More examples of minis in the Sally 4th storage chests:

Sally, 4th, forth, Storage, crisis, miniatures, cheap, wood, zombies, zombicide, survivors, safe


Sally, 4th, forth, Storage, crisis, miniatures, cheap, wood, zombies, zombicide, survivors, safe

Now there are a few caveats with this system.
1: The entire thing comes without any instructions and looks quite fragile when you get the set. The mess below are six chests and two lids:

Sally, 4th, forth, Storage, crisis, miniatures, cheap, wood, zombies, zombicide, survivors, safe

Looks a bit daunting. But once you get started the things build themselves and it was a bit like building wooden planes as a child.

2. the smell. Now becuase these are cut by a laser they smell. They smell burnt and they will do so for some time. Mine have been in action for a few weeks and I'll still notice the smell once in a while. But in the beginning the smell is quite noticeable, and the room you store them in will smell like a 'cub scout'-hangout. Very smokey - not like a cigarette, but like burnt wood. Whether this is a significant problem is something you must decide for yourself, but for me it was like reliving my childhood, so I came to enjoy the smell, even though it surprised me.

3. the price. While very fairly priced (I believe each chest, with magnets and inserts) set me back ca. 8£ is by any standard not a lot, it is money not used on miniatures and, again, is a point worth considering. I pondered long and hard (well for a day or so) and finally decided that the convenience they offered was worth it, and the quality of the product is great - well designed and flawless executed.

Now, I really like the products from Sally 4th (including their cheap round bases with magnets, excellent priced) and thus I happily recommend them for solving the problem of storing any minis. I'll be buying a few more chests and inserts for use with my Warmaster 10mm miniatures - four chests should hold vast armies and wills tandardize my storage system (and free up a lot of the wife's kitchen containers...). 

Anyways, thanks for reading - if you found the post interesting then any comments or tips (commercial clicks :-)) are greatly appreciated!
Until the next time; stay safe and prepare to slaughter Zombies!

All the best,
Kasper

5 comments:

  1. I saw these boxes elsewhere and had been considering them. I suspect you've just tipped me over the edge now I'm finally painting season 1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Paul,
      I really think you will like them - I've so far only been satisfied with them. And it sure looks great when they are filled with Zombies :-).
      Btw, liked your blog and have added it to my blog roll.
      All the best,
      Kasper

      Delete
  2. Hi Kasper,

    I just got my season 2 order and now need to think of a way to store them all. Currently I store my season 1 figures in battlefoam trays, but your boxes look quite nice. You wrote that you have the magnetized array, how do you make your figures attach to that? Do you use the bases from Sally 4th? If yes, do you have to glue those to the bottom or something else.

    Regards,

    Harri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Harri, and sorry for the late response but I must have missed your comment.
      I considered battlefoam but heard that it would, witht ime, rub some of the paint of, and the sheer size and numbers needed (and their prize) made me choose the storage system from Sally 4th. As for your question, then yes, I use magnetize bases from Sally 4th when possible - these are very cheap and excellent quality. for the vast number of zombies I have simply bought some sheets of magnetic sheets (with adhesive on one side) and put them underneath the zombies - the light weight of these minis means that they will stay in their tray with the help of the magnetic sheeting even when transporting them.
      All the best and happy painting!
      KAsper

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...